Independent Inspection of the Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service
Scope Of The Inspection
4.1 Terms of Reference (TOR) for this inspection were developed between the DoH and the Chief Inspector (Appendix A). It was agreed that the inspection would aim to provide an independent examination of the challenges facing NIFRS, including:
- A review of relevant policies and standard operating procedures to ensure these are aligned to, or take account of, current NOG.
- NIFRS risk/demand profile, coupled with an analysis of historical activity levels and resourcing (headcount/finance).
- Systems in place for ensuring operational staff attain necessary training and that these are maintained to a specified standard throughout their time in post.
- NIFRS succession planning processes to fulfil future resource demands at all levels.
- Consideration of NIFRS current support staff structures compared with organisations of a similar size and remit.
- Governance arrangements in place between the DoH and NIFRS Board (Management Statement and Financial Memorandum (MSFM)/operational framework/Partnership Agreement), between NIFRS Board and the ELT.
- NIFRS progress against NIFRS “People Strategy” outcomes to better understand issues of organisational culture, staff development, wellbeing, diversity and leadership.
- NIFRS infrastructure, estate and equipment; to determine adequate safety levels and fitness for purpose.
- The appropriateness of NIFRS structures for fire safety enforcement, education and advice, compared with services of a similar size.